Re: (reiserfs) reiserfs and knfsd and NFSv4 and volatile file handles

From: Andi Kleen (ak@suse.de)
Date: Wed Mar 15 2000 - 08:21:30 EST

On Wed, Mar 15, 2000 at 02:10:39PM +1100, Neil F. Brown wrote:

> As I understand reiserfs (which isn't very deeply), it has an emphasis
> on efficient support for lots of small files, and so likes to keep
> meta-data and some or all of the data associated with a file in the
> directory entry that references the file.
> I can imaging that this would mean changing the size of the file,
> renaming the file, or even adding files to the directory could all
> change the physical location of the meta-data on disc, making it hard
> to have a fixed-length, stable index to a file, as needed by NFSv2,3.

Reiserfs has a stable index to a file. It is currently 64bit (32 bit object
ID + ID of the directory). Hans apparently plans to go for longer variable
size keys in the future, although that may not work out given the NFS
limitations. If the 32bit directory key is not available searching the
file is very expensive.

-Andi