Re: Comparing Redhat Linux 6.1 & FreeBSD 3.4

From: Andrew Park (apark@cdf.toronto.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 15 2000 - 11:07:15 EST

On Tue, 14 Mar 2000, Horst von Brand wrote:

> Koroush Saraf <akhavans@usc.edu> said:
>
> > I'm a student at University of Southern California taking advanced
> > operating systems. I'm planning to write a paper benchmarking Redhat
> > Linux 6.1 and FreeBSD 3.4 on a Pentium 500mhz for its application level
> > performance and network server level performance. I also intend to run
> > lmbench as well as Ousterhout tests.
>
> You might want to take a look at Red Hat 6.2beta and/or the current
> development kernels. I know very little of *BSD, but I assume they have
> some sort of beta too. That way, your results aren't only for the (soon to
> be forgotten) not-so-recent past.
>
> Just curiosity: Why Red Hat? There are tons of other distributions around.
>
> One condition: Share your results ;-)

Just my $0.02
FreeBSD 4.0 should be out soon, if not already. Why don't you bench mark
against that? I'll be running similar benchmarks as well, but I'm very much
interested in your results though. So if you could, PLEASE, remember me
when you release your report it'll be greatly appreciated. I'll also let
you know of my results (Don't expect it any time soon though) :)
cheers

Andrew Park