Re: Overcommitable memory??

From: Rask Ingemann Lambertsen (rask-linux@kampsax.k-net.dk)
Date: Wed Mar 15 2000 - 09:30:06 EST

Den 13-Mar-00 15:01:14 skrev Richard B. Johnson fĝlgende om "Re: Overcommitable memory?? Re: Some questions about linux kernel.":

> Of course, if you don't have a swap-file, there is nothing you can
> do. Some persons claim that a swap-file isn't necessary and should not
> be used. They come from the "Flat Earth Society".

   Swap isn't necessary. Swap is just a cheap and slow alternative to RAM
chips, that's why most people use it, hoping mostly inactive parts of
memory have to be implemented as swap, but swap isn't necessary. It is
quite possible to run production Linux systems without any swap. Been
there, done that.

Regards,

/ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻTŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ\
| Rask Ingemann Lambertsen | E-mail: mailto:rask@kampsax.dtu.dk |
| Please do NOT Cc: to me or the | WWW: http://www.gbar.dtu.dk/~c948374/ |
| mailing list. I am on the list.| "ThrustMe" on XPilot, ARCnet and IRC |
| If a train station is where a train stops, what is a workstation then? |