Re: Overcommitable memory??

From: Peter T. Breuer (ptb@it.uc3m.es)
Date: Wed Mar 15 2000 - 18:35:22 EST

"A month of sundays ago Rask Ingemann Lambertsen wrote:"
> > Of course, if you don't have a swap-file, there is nothing you can
> > do. Some persons claim that a swap-file isn't necessary and should not
> > be used. They come from the "Flat Earth Society".
>
> Swap isn't necessary. Swap is just a cheap and slow alternative to RAM
> chips, that's why most people use it, hoping mostly inactive parts of
> memory have to be implemented as swap, but swap isn't necessary. It is
> quite possible to run production Linux systems without any swap. Been
> there, done that.

Interestingly, I have to reluctlantly accede. Performance is noticably
better on my workstation without swap.

             total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 128000 124072 3928 20956 50004 43512
-/+ buffers/cache: 30556 97444
Swap: 258008 14192 243816

Look .. it has 90MB free ram available and it chooses to swap out
unused pages. This is great .. until I have to swap them back in again
at ~ 1MB/s. I need those pages infrequently, but more frequently than
I need fresh ram. They're typically something like unused X fonts.

Not complaining, btw. Just observing. The setup is my decision.

Peter