Re: Some questions about linux kernel.

From: Paul Jakma (paul.jakma@compaq.com)
Date: Wed Mar 15 2000 - 09:22:49 EST

On Tue, 14 Mar 2000, Rik van Riel wrote:

> Indeed. There is always a way to fool any OOM killer.
> The only thing that could save us here are proper
> per-user resource limits,

so isn't what should be concentrated on? Per user limits are a cleaner
way of fixing the problem.

i guess though it's a 2.5 thing. Rik, do you know of anyone
investigating per-user limits for 2.5? (a lot of linux users would
like to see it.. hint hint..)

:)

> but even then we'd still want
> an emergency OOM killer to rescue the system in situations
> where we hit the wall...

OOM is a stopgap. Ideally we should be able to set ironclad policies so
that we never encounter OOM.

> Rik

groetjes,

-paul jakma