Re: Overcomittable memory

From: Rask Ingemann Lambertsen (rask-linux@kampsax.k-net.dk)
Date: Wed Mar 15 2000 - 09:05:01 EST

Den 14-Mar-00 00:13:50 skrev James Sutherland fĝlgende om "Re: Overcomittable memory (Was: Linux 2.2.15pre12)":

> You may wonder why I assume processes should die when unable to allocate
> memory. Here's why:

> syslog tried to allocate a small buffer to handle incoming data. It fails.
> bitbucket. (2) Exit, making it clear there is now no syslog facility, and
> hoping that we will be respawned later, once the critical problem (which
> this is) has been resolved.

> Again, (2) seems the more appropriate.

   Not at all. If syslogd chooses (1), system logging will automatically
start working again when memory is freed. (2) would required external
action to restore system logging, even when memory becomes available again.
(2) is clearly not what you want for a program like syslogd. The same goes
for init, inetd, named, sendmail, httpd, nfsd, etc.

Regards,

/ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻTŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ\
| Rask Ingemann Lambertsen | E-mail: mailto:rask@kampsax.dtu.dk |
| Please do NOT Cc: to me or the | WWW: http://www.gbar.dtu.dk/~c948374/ |
| mailing list. I am on the list.| "ThrustMe" on XPilot, ARCnet and IRC |
| LOAD "emacs",8,1 |