Re: Overcommitable memory??

From: James Sutherland (jas88@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Mar 16 2000 - 08:38:42 EST

On 15 Mar 2000, Rask Ingemann Lambertsen wrote:

> Den 13-Mar-00 21:28:09 skrev Rik van Riel følgende om "Re: Overcommitable memory??":
>
> > Most machines never run out of memory (+swap). That is
> > the only easy answer. In case something is screwed up
> > anyway, it's the kernel's job to fix it,
>
> Why wouldn't it be much better to delegate this job to a userspace
> daemon? The advantages I see are
>
> - easier customisation of OOM killing rules. Write your own OOM daemon if
> the existing one isn't satisfactory.
> - if you don't want OOM killing, simply don't run the daemon.
> - smaller kernel.

I tend to prefer this as well. A lot of boxes I have used have a similar
thing for CPU time - after 15 mins, you get reniced, after 60 you get
killed. Rik's patch would still be useful as a "last line of defence" - if
the daemon dies from lack of memory, for example, Rik's patch could still
kill the culprit and allow things to recover.

A nice "clever" daemon could enforce some sort of per-user quota; if any
user processes go over, say, 100Mb (admin definable) and they get killed;
if the user goes over, say, 250Mb, their largest processes are killed.
Then you could warn them if they exceed a "soft" quota. (Perhaps also
adjust their rlimits accordingly??)

Essentially, this is what I wanted all along - a nice flexible memory
"quota" daemon.

James.