AIC-7890 SCSI problems

From: Jack (Butch) Griffin (bwg@cypress.com)
Date: Thu Mar 16 2000 - 17:30:12 EST

I have an Adaptec AIC-7890 SCSI II controller on my motherboard. There is
an LVD connector on the motherboard for this controller and connected I have
two Western Digital 18.3 GByte Utlra2-LVD drives.

The problem is with all of the 2.3 kernels going back as far a 2.3.41 (that
is as far back as I have tried), I get error messages when the disks are
probed. I don't have the exact messages with me, they are at home. But the
basically say:

invalid cur_addr:0xHEXNUM during WIDE_RESIDUE
  sg_address[1 or -1]:0xHEXNUM sg_length[1 or -1]:DECIMALNUM

Also, when I do anything significant (start X for example) I start getting
delays and SCSI timeout messages.

This controller and drivers work great under the 2.2.9 kernel that installs
by default with RedHat 6.0. It also works greate with Windows 98. This
machine is an SMP machine if this has any effect.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Jack W. Griffin
Cypress Semiconductor