Re: bogo-bogomips

From: Riley Williams (rhw@cus.org.uk)
Date: Fri Mar 17 2000 - 14:50:02 EST

Hi Andrew.

> 2.3.99-pre1 is getting my bogomips wrong:

> pwold011:~> cat /proc/cpuinfo
> processor : 0
> vendor_id : GenuineIntel
> cpu family : 6
> model : 7
> model name : Pentium III (Katmai)
> stepping : 2
> cpu MHz : 448.880090
> cache size : 512 KB
> fdiv_bug : no
> hlt_bug : no
> sep_bug : no
> f00f_bug : no
> coma_bug : no
> fpu : yes
> fpu_exception : yes
> cpuid level : 2
> wp : yes
> flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca
> cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr xmm
> bogomips : 894.57

> It's normally half this. Poking around in kcore shows that
> loops_per_sec is 447283200, so it's definitely the measurement
> which has gone wrong.

> The standalone version (http://www.uow.edu.au/~andrewm/bogo.c)
> gets it correct on the same machine, under 2.3.99-pre1.

> Makes me wonder if the RTC is playing up. Any theories?

The most likely theory is that the changes to the BogoMIPS routine in
the 2.3.{49,50} kernels is the reason for this. Since the standalone
version won't have been changed, it will still report the old value.

Best wishes from Riley.

 * Copyright (C) 1999, Memory Alpha Systems.
 * All rights and wrongs reserved.