Re: AIC-7890 SCSI problems

From: Linda Walsh (law@sgi.com)
Date: Fri Mar 17 2000 - 19:03:38 EST

"Jack (Butch) Griffin" wrote:

> I have an Adaptec AIC-7890 SCSI II controller on my motherboard. There is
> an LVD connector on the motherboard for this controller and connected I have
> two Western Digital 18.3 GByte Utlra2-LVD drives.

---
	This is the exact failure case I have with the same controller
and same hard disk.  The workaround for now is to install the aic7xxx
driver that comes with kernel 2.2.13 (aic7xxx version 5.1.20).  Version
5.1.21 and above (through 28 anyway) are bad for this combo.  Version
5.1.21 had many changes put in specifically for the 7890 by the driver
maintainer, Doug Ledford (email:dledford@redhat.com)
his driver page is at http://people.redhat.com/dledford/aic7xxx.html .

It was his belief that that this should work and that it was something wrong with my particular 7890. However, it also doesn't work on a 2nd one I tried and doesn't work on yours. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the SCSI BIOS I have which is for a Dell Precision 410 workstation. Who did the SCSI bios on your motherboard?

Good luck.... -linda

-- Linda A Walsh | Trust Technology, Core Linux, SGI law@sgi.com | Voice: (650) 933-5338