Re: patch: reiserfs for 2.3.49

From: Mike Castle (dalgoda@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Fri Mar 17 2000 - 19:02:57 EST

On Fri, Mar 17, 2000 at 03:14:08PM +0000, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
> something is wrong. I think we need extra VM infrastructure to deal
> reliably with this: both ext3 and reiserfs will be hurt by the need
> to build whole transactions before committing stuff to disk, as we
> may run out of memory mid-transaction while the rest of the
> transaction is still pinned.

Why does the transaction have to be maintained in memory? What's the big
deal with eating up journal space for a transaction that may be aborted
anyway? As long as it's not marked committed, upon a possible recovery,
things should roll back automatically.

mrc

--
       Mike Castle       Life is like a clock:  You can work constantly
  dalgoda@ix.netcom.com  and be right all the time, or not work at all