Re: Call for evaluation: new Intel eepro/100+, eepro100/S open source driver (but not GPL). Is it stable, neat, or on it's way into

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Fri Mar 17 2000 - 12:47:25 EST

> great to here what other people think about it (Linus, AC?). It probably
> wont because the license isn't fully GPL (heck, I don't even know how close
> it is).

Its not GPL compatibly licensed.

> At the least, maybe we could pilfer some code (like the Adapter teaming and
> fault tolerance options) and install it into our driver.

We don't want adapter teaming and fault tolerance in adapters. Thats the kind
of proprietary single vendor crap windows people suffer. You want to be able
to team and fail over mix vendor cards.

At most it will be useful for documenting how you access the rest of the
features on the management adapter which we dont currently handle.

I wish I knew why vendors were intent on duplicating working drivers.

Alan