errors when making 2.3.99-pre1 and up

From: Mike Cole (nmo@MailAndNews.com)
Date: Sat Mar 18 2000 - 13:47:15 EST

When ever I type make anything in the the new kernel directory I get these
messages repeatedly throught-out the make:

/bin/sh: invalid character 45 in exportstr for DRIVERS-y
/bin/sh: invalid character 45 in exportstr for DRIVERS-
/bin/sh: invalid character 45 in exportstr for DRIVERS-m
/bin/sh: invalid character 45 in exportstr for DRIVERS-n

This happens in make mrproper, and menuconfig, etc. I think it must be the -
character. I am using Debian unstable (woody).