Memory Leak in the pre-2.4 series?

From: Ari Pollak (compwiz@bigfoot.com)
Date: Sat Mar 18 2000 - 10:04:14 EST

Since I don't have any real proof to explain this, I'll try and be
quick. With 2.3.51 and 2.2.14pre14, I leave X on for days at a time, with
no problems. However, when running the pre-2.4 kernels (currently
pre2-4), I've noticed
something interesting - when running X overnight, without anything but
enlightenment and a couple of builtin programs running, I find that an
enormous amount of memory is being used by the system, and no process
seems to be allocating that much. Whereas there are usually about 13MB
w/o buffers/cache used while just running console, there are now 57 MB
used, and no programs seem to be using that much memory - this seems like
a huge kernel memory leak, but I cannot explain what is causing it.

--
   ___   ___
  / _ | / _ \   Ari Pollak - compwiz@bigfoot.com - www.compwiz.nu