Re: new IRQ scalability changes in 2.3.48

From: Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Date: Sun Mar 19 2000 - 06:10:13 EST

tytso@mit.edu wrote:
> Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 09:33:10 -0800 (PST)
> From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com>
>
> and you're now done. Tadaa! You have a pre-emptive UP kernel. Add a few
> months of debugging (because something _will_ crop up, or my name isn't
> Billy-Bob).
>
> Linus,
>
> I think this is a great idea, as it will catch all sorts of
> places where we've been slopping about SMP races, by exposing them in
> the UP kernel. However, is now (just before 2.4) the best time to be
> doing this? I fear that there may be plenty of places hiding in the
> kernel where we aren't adequately proteccting shared data structures.

As those bugs are simply bugs that didn't show up because the driver
hadn't been run on SMP just yet, they should be fixed.

By the end of the 2.4 lifetime, many more people will be running SMP
hardware than now.

How about making "preemptive kernel" a "default-on" option on 2.4pre
and a "default-off" option on the real 2.4 kernel?

                                Roger.

*       Common sense is the collection of                                *
******  prejudices acquired by age eighteen.   -- Albert Einstein ********