Re: Avoiding OOM on overcommit...?

From: Jesse Pollard (pollard@tomcat.admin.navo.hpc.mil)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2000 - 10:44:47 EST

James Sutherland <jas88@cam.ac.uk>
> >It all depends on the application. I have seen embeded systems that
> >could cause a loss of life on failure. I have worked on some that
> >almost cost the job of the manager who sent it out.
>
> Definitely not the target market of the standard Linux kernel. While I
> like Linux, I don't want to find myself on a penguin-powered life
> support system. Equally, I don't want to run a mission-critical
> embedded OS on my desktop PC.

Which OS is more reliable a) Linux b) NT ?
which OS is used to control a cruser with missles?
Which would you prefer: life support under NT, or life support under Linux?

> (Perhaps something like RTLinux could address these problems?)

In some cases yes. In others it is not appropriate. Real-time, when measured
in microseconds, is approprate for RTLinux. Where Real-time means "within
an hour of the data arrival" it is not.