Re: new IRQ scalability changes in 2.3.48

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2000 - 10:59:44 EST

On Mon, 20 Mar 2000, David Schleef wrote:

> Does this mean that we are going to have yet another permutation of
> the binary interface? (Not that I personally really mind, although I
> can see that it would be convenient to export certain inlined functions
> that are different between UP and SMP (and RTLinux).)

If you mean "will we have to take this into account when building
modules", then yes, it does end up being something that modules will know
about.

We could avoid that by not using these kinds of inline functions for
modules, but as I'm not a big believer in stable binary interfaces anyway
(binary modules are quite problematic as it is), I actually much prefer to
tell people that they have to recompile their modules if they change the
type of their kernel.

                Linus