NMI trap on Athlon KX133

From: Brian Pomerantz (bapper@piratehaven.org)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2000 - 14:31:38 EST

I recently got a 700MHz Athlon and an Epox EP-7KXA motherboard (uses
the VIA KX133 Apollo chipset) and have been running into problems. I
just noticed on boot-up that I get this message:

        Uhhuh. NMI received for unknown reason 3d.
        Dazed and confused, but trying to continue
        Do you have a strange power saving mode enabled?

The problems I'm having are complete lockups when I am doing large
compiles (i.e. the kernel). I can run povray all day long without
problems, but as soon as I try to compile the kernel, it will usually
lock up in the middle of the compile. I don't know whether the NMI
message I'm getting could be a sign of a bad CPU, memory, motherboard,
or a combination. I could just have something configured wrong.
Before I spam the list with my configuration, I thought I would see if
anyone has thoughts on what may be occurring. Other things I tried
with no luck were using SCSI instead of IDE, removing one of the DIMMs
(I have 2 PC133 128MB Micron DIMMs) and trying each one separately,
and lots of different memory and CPU settings. Any help is
appreciated.

BAPper