Re: Unfreed kernel buffers (fsck and 2.3.99-pre*)

From: Mike Galbraith (mikeg@weiden.de)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2000 - 15:50:37 EST

On Sun, 19 Mar 2000, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Mar 2000, Mike Galbraith wrote:
> >
> > I notice in pre2-4 that it is hard to keep enough text pages in ram
> > (speculation) for a program to exit.. it can take several minutes for
> > netscape to exit during/after a serious swap storm.
                            ^^^^^
> Ugh.
>
> > How to generate a truely magnificent swap storm:
> > I booted my p3-500 with 32 mb ram enabled, fired up X3.9.17 and started
> > netscape 4.7. That put me about 16 mb into swap, but box is working
> > fine. Click on an 11mb diff on my little test server, and (netscape is
> > kinda gross) client box is instantly at ~260 mb swap and churning madly.
>
> That is kind of gross..
>
> At the same time I have to admit that if you're ~260MB into swap on a 32MB
> box, I won't consider it a huge bug if that doesn't cause very nice
> interactive behaviour.

The after upset me.. during is ok (pipe is 3" diameter pipe period).
I haven't seen any such bad behavior other than netscape yet tho..

> Has this ever been much better?

Certainly not during HEAVY swap.. response seemed quite reasonable
given the beating it was taking. (never lost of control of box
though it was dicy if I was going to get a command in edgewise)

        -Mike