[2.3.99-pre2] General slowdown

From: Miguel Freitas (mfreitas@mls.com.br)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2000 - 21:11:48 EST

<off-subject> Linus should be tired of reading messages regarding
compilation problems of 2.3.99-pre2, but I found 2 of them: a missing
#include <linux/module.h> somewhere in shm.c and a static variable from
sb_mix that should be global... </off-subject>

    I notice a general slowdown in linux 2.3.99 from my previous working
version (2.3.48). Some operations became very time consuming without
wasting any CPU. The most obvious one in my system was gnome-terminal,
in 2.3.48 it takes less then a second to run but in 2.3.99-pre2 it takes
10 sec just to bring the screen! After loading it seems to run at full
speed. (the .config used in 2.3.99-pre2 was copied from my 2.3.48 and
updated)

    I also saw a severe file corruption problem as reported by Simon
Kirby in my 2.3.99-pre1 trial. Some files was overwritten with binary
data and after reboot the filesystem had a lot of errors, cross linked
files and so on.

    Any ideas? I can make some tests to try to spot the problem, but I
have no clue....

Regards,

Miguel Freitas