Re: fcntl(2) and other file systems like XFS

From: Eric W. Biederman (ebiederm+eric@ccr.net)
Date: Tue Mar 21 2000 - 05:42:14 EST

Jamie Lokier <lfs@tantalophile.demon.co.uk> writes:

> Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
> > > 2. there is no central repository for all the ioctls so there may
> > > be collisions between ioctls and fcntls.
> >
> > Documentation/ioctl-number.txt
>
> And you will notice there are plenty of collisions already, including
> quite plausible ones with the ext2 ioctls..

Just my 2 cents.
It was mentioned earlier one of the disadvantages of ioctl was that for
special files, that have their own ioctls we can't have use bot sets.

I just too a quick look, and it looks like ioctl can accomplish both
just with a little care. In particular you install some kind of
wrapper for the inode operations after calling init_special_inode...

Eric