Re: [2.3.99-pre2] General slowdown

From: Miguel Freitas (mfreitas@mls.com.br)
Date: Tue Mar 21 2000 - 22:17:48 EST

Gregory Maxwell wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Mar 2000, Miguel Freitas wrote:
>
> [snip]
> > I notice a general slowdown in linux 2.3.99 from my previous working
> > version (2.3.48). Some operations became very time consuming without
> > wasting any CPU. The most obvious one in my system was gnome-terminal,
> > in 2.3.48 it takes less then a second to run but in 2.3.99-pre2 it takes
> > 10 sec just to bring the screen! After loading it seems to run at full
> > speed.
> [snip]
>
> I've noticed something on these lines too. I'm running gimp 1.1.18 (which
> I had to recompile since the SHM changes), and I've noticed an obvious
> slowdown. I.e. When I have part of an image off the screen and back on, it
> takes a *LONG* time to redraw. Prior to .99, it was instantaneous (this is
> on a PII 400/xfree 4.0/g400).
>
> Is this a know issue or should I start searching for the patch the caused
> the problem?

    Gregory, I don't know for gimp (which is running fine here without
recompilation) but it seems that my gnome-terminal slowdown has gone
from pre-2 to pre-3.
    I just hope that someone had discovered and fixed the cause of this
problem
(that it's not a casual patch between pre2 and pre3) so we may be sure it
will
NOT happen again somewhere in 2.4...

Regards,

Miguel Freitas