Re: Memory Mapped Filesystem

From: Jim Nance (jnance@nortelnetworks.com)
Date: Wed Mar 22 2000 - 08:01:16 EST

On Tue, Mar 21, 2000 at 11:59:55PM +0100, Jamie Lokier wrote:
> Thomas Pornin wrote:
> > Therefore, I intend to implement such a filesystem. For this, I need
> > some help; specifically, I ask myself the following questions:
> > -- does such a filesystem already exists ?
>
> Nearly. The recently added shmfs handles the memory management issues
> and, being widely used, will get fairly thorough testing.

I have done some benchmarks which show that Linux does not need a tmpfs like
filesystem for performance. The benchmark numbers were in one of the linux
FAQs at one time, but I dont remember which one.

However, using shmfs for an automatically erased /tmp thats shares swap space
is quite appealing to me (and was what Thomas asked for). Also, /tmp seems
like a natural place for shared memory files to appear.

Jim