Re: Memory Mapped Filesystem

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Wed Mar 22 2000 - 12:18:01 EST

bert hubert wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 22, 2000 at 08:01:16AM -0500, Jim Nance wrote:
>
> > I have done some benchmarks which show that Linux does not need a tmpfs like
> > filesystem for performance. The benchmark numbers were in one of the linux
> > FAQs at one time, but I dont remember which one.
>
> Matt Dillon of freebsd & diablo fame claims that their 'mfs' is still an
> order of magnitude faster, so tmpfs may have some merit yet.

tmpfs has some differences; I don't know about mfs, but solaris' tmpfs
stores all directory information in-core, only putting file inodes and
data in swappable pages, it definitely seems like it has advantages. It
also stores in-core structures in ADTs like b+trees and such.

It would be interesting to benchmark reiserfs against a memory
filesystem...

--
Jeff Garzik              | Tact is the ability to tell a man
Building 1024            | he has an open mind when he has a