Re: What do people thjnk?

From: Evan Langlois (evanlanglois@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Mar 22 2000 - 17:56:38 EST

Don't read ZDNET. Those people are clueless and its all flame-bait.
We all know the issues mentioned their are pointless. Linux won't fork
cause its open-source, it will never be a monopoly cause its open-source,
and anyone complaining about compiling kernels and writing driver patches
doesn't seem to realize that the average user doesn't have to recompile a
kernel, and other people are available to write driver patches. People
complaining that the average user can't do these things obviously hasn't
installed a recent linux distro, nor have they tried having an "average"
user install windows.

I installed RedHat 6.1 on a Dell server the other day. Tons of RAM, dual
processors, Adaptec 7xxx SCSI, Dell RAID array. Redhat just told me what
drivers It was loading (I didn't tell it) and it was installed, booted,
and already serving the default apache page in under 10 minutes.

Ever change a video card under Windows? YIKES! Under Linux it usually
just detects the new card and works, and if you run redhat's kudzu or
something similar it re-runs the X configuration program so you can
change resolutions and such for the new card. Does Windows PnP work this
well?

Give it time. IS Managers and end users both will love how easy this is.
 They'll like how fast it is, and how reliable. We have a superior
product and even though superior products sometimes fail, Linux is taking
the world over at an amazing pace.

To ZDNET from Cartman (my RedHat release) : "Screw you guys!"