Re: Linux 0.0.1 kernel compile

From: Paul Gortmaker (p_gortmaker@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Mar 23 2000 - 05:05:23 EST

Facundo Arena wrote:

> Hi, I'm trying to compile the Kernel 0.0.1 on my Slackware 7 machine (I
> know it's a little bit old, but for a little research at school is
> alright)

> Is there any way to compile this kernel without MINIX? Can you suggest
> another version to me?

Unless you really have your heart stuck on v0.0.1 then I'd suggest
going to v1.0.9. It is still super small (tarball fits on a floppy
with space to spare!) which should make it appealing for school
research and a while back I hacked on v1.0.9 so that
it would build (and run!) on a more current linux system (like
gcc-2.7.2 and libc5, which was current at the time). You should
be able to find it on linux ftp archives (look for linux-lite).

Paul.