Re: ** How to use ide-scsi.o instead of ide-tape.o?

From: Andre Hedrick (andre@linux-ide.org)
Date: Thu Mar 23 2000 - 14:56:55 EST

On Thu, 23 Mar 2000, [iso-8859-1] Quang Nguyêñ (formerly Ngô) wrote:

> Assuming I have 1 IDE drive on the first IDE controller, and 1 IDE tape
> drive on the second controller. The tape drive would be on /dev/hdc. I
> want to use the SCSI emulation (ide-scsi.o) for tape drive. There are
> currently 2 solutions I can think of:
> 1) Recompile the kernel without ide-tape and simply modprobe the
> ide-scsi.o module
> 2) Add append="hdc=ide-scsi" in the /etc/lilo.conf file and run lilo

      3) Recompile the kernel with ide-tape and ide-scsi and simply
            append="hdc=scsi" in the /etc/lilo.conf file and run lilo

Third works with my patches into 2.2 or native 2.3/2.4.

I hope this is the solution you are looking for......

FYI "hdx=scsi" works on ide-tape, ide-cd, and ide-floppy......

> I'm looking for a third solution that would work automatically without using
> the solutions mentioned above. Let's say the kernel is compiled with
> ide-tape compiled-in and ide-scsi.o as a module. If my program tries to
> access /dev/hdc the IDE driver will have the ide-tape do the work since it's
> compiled as part of the kernel, and it's registered before the ide-scsi.o
> module.

Andre Hedrick
The Linux ATA/IDE guy