Re: Kernel patch: keyboard.

From: Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl
Date: Thu Mar 23 2000 - 17:14:05 EST

On Mon, Mar 20, 2000 at 10:04:36PM +0100, Ra\372lN\372\361ez de Arenas Coronado wrote:

> I have tested this on ten keyboards, five of them under Debian 2.1,
> three under Suse 6.2 and two under a-kind-of-red-hat-5.1, and worked
> OK under all of them. I hope to see this patch included in, at
> least, a prepatch version of the kernel :))))
>
> Well, this patch is about these three new keys that some new
> keyboards have: suspend, resume and poweroff. These keys don't work
> on Linux by default, and I have decoded their scancodes and included
> them in the kernel keyboard conversion tables.

Very good!

Unfortunately, these days there are many new keyboards, with dozens
of new keys, so it is impossible to assign each key its own keycode
(since for the time being keycodes are restricted to the range 1-127).

Fortunately, Linux already has a mechanism to deal with this:
the utility setkeycodes. (OK in kbd, broken in some distributions
that use console-tools.)
So, it looks like your kernel patch is equivalent to the command
        # setkeycodes e05e 124 e05f 123 e063 122
See setkeycodes(8) and also
        http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/kbd/scancodes.html