BUG?! AHA2940U2W in 2.2.14 does not detect mediachange (not fixed in 5.1.28)

From: Dr. Michael Weller (eowmob@exp-math.uni-essen.de)
Date: Fri Mar 24 2000 - 05:38:58 EST

On Sat, 18 Mar 2000, Dr. Michael Weller wrote:

> I got no reply on my message, anyway... I played a bit further with the
> driver. It really seems it looses the right mode sense info after a
> mediachange.
>
> Either the aic7xxx driver gets some bytes in the mode sense result wrong,
> or, it somehow does several mode sense commands s.t. the original media
> change message is lost.
>
> Now, I realized there are more recent version of the aic7xxx driver. And,
> lo and behold, it seems that 5.1.28 cures my problems. Actually, I was
> surprised that there were soo many version of it behind the latest 2.2.14
> version. As I suspect anyone with a tape or other more complex scsi device
> will suffer badly from these problems I think the versions should go in
> a new stable release very soon...

Ok, apparently I was wrong.. 5.1.28 still does not work reliably with the
AHA2940U2W and detection of mediachange (by a CHECK_CONDITION on next
command and MEDIA CHANGE mode sense reply). Theoretically something in the
driver could zero out some bytes of the modesense info, but I doubt it.

It looks more like several Mode Sense are issued and the first reply
(which is the only one showing the MEDIA CHANGE) is lost. However, from
printk's in the driver it seems only one Mode Sense is issued. So all this
looks like a sequencer problem to me.

This is an informational message only. I'll contact the aic7xxx people
directly.

I'm still wondering if anyone had success with a removable disk and/or
tape on a AHA2940U2W. From what I experience here, I'd claim that those
are doomed to fail with this driver.

Michael.

--

Michael Weller: eowmob@exp-math.uni-essen.de, eowmob@ms.exp-math.uni-essen.de, or even mat42b@spi.power.uni-essen.de. If you encounter an eowmob account on any machine in the net, it's very likely it's me.