Re: VM modules in kernel?

From: Arjan van de Ven (arjan@fenrus.demon.nl)
Date: Fri Mar 24 2000 - 13:39:01 EST

In article <E12YY4n-0002Ep-00@the-village.bc.nu> you wrote:
>> I was thinking that faster VM speeds may be possible if the
>> kernel can be tweaked more freely due to the GPL nature of the
>> Plex86/bochs projects now.

> Remember something here. IBM tuned the hardware to this, and to an extent
> they tuned the software on top of VM. They have a lot of cards to play that
> Motorola m68K chips did but x86 does not.

> Im hoping transmeta can manage to add a virtualised 386 mode to their chip.
> Here's hoping they are listening ;)

Also interesting is the following URL (was on /.) about HP's Dynamo:

http://www.arstechnica.com/reviews/1q00/dynamo/dynamo-1.html

In short, the article claims that a virtualized CPU is/can be faster than
a "normal" CPU. Would be cool: Define a "Linux userspace instruction set"
and let the kernel optimize it to the processor-of-the-day.

Greetings,
   Arjan van de Ven