Re: Virtual vs. physical swap & shared memory forks (clone)

From: Richard Gooch (rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca)
Date: Sat Mar 25 2000 - 20:18:48 EST

Linda Walsh writes:
> Richard Gooch wrote:

> > > What other methods? calloc - ENOMEM, open <object>, ENOMEM, fork:
> > > ENOMEM. Etc. All what you would expect if there was NOMEM.
> >
> > Stack "allocation". No error code available.
> >
> Except via "SIGSTKFLT" (16) - Sig Stack Fault if 'caught' --
> likely resulting in a suspend of the process? Is state saved on
> kernel or on user stack? Seems like it couldn't be on the user
> stack, otherwise, how could you deliver it?

My man page says "Stack fault on coprocessor". Hm. What co-processor?
Oh! My 387! At the least, exactly what SIGSTKFLT is delivered for
should be properly and clearly documented.

State is first saved on the kernel stack. If you want to catch a
signal, you need space in the user-space stack. Boom!

So, in low-memory situations, a growing stack can only result in a
signal that either suspends or kills the process. I don't call that
"deterministic" either. You may as well be buggered by the OOM killer.

                                Regards,

                                        Richard....
Permanent: rgooch@atnf.csiro.au
Current: rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca