automatic routing in 2.2.*

From: Peter T. Breuer (ptb@it.uc3m.es)
Date: Sun Mar 26 2000 - 00:08:55 EST

I thought of using as subject "great PITAs of our current stable
kernel" ... the automatic placement of static routes when I bring
up an interface.

1) I believe I just did "ifconfig lo:7 machineB" on machineA and
immediately lost contact. I think I can guess why. It now doesn't
have a route to localhost, having just changed the static routes
through the whole loopback interface.

Thanks, but no thanks. SUSE 6.3 standard 2.2.10 kernel.

2) I can't get an alias to go away. If I ifconfig down lo:7 and
then take out the entire loopback interface with ifconfig lo
down, when I do ifconfig lo up, lo:7 will reappear also.

The best I can do is reconfigure lo:7 to something harmless, like
127.0.0.8. It's a kind of zombie alias.

Is this PITA still around in 2.3.9? PLEASE make it stop if so .. (goes
and cries in corner).

Peter