Re: automatic routing in 2.2.*

From: Peter T. Breuer (ptb@it.uc3m.es)
Date: Sun Mar 26 2000 - 16:44:57 EST

"A month of sundays ago Blu3Viper wrote:"
> If you don't like the proper route being added, then specify a netmask of
> /32 and no route will be added.

But I didn't mean a netmask of 32. I meant one of 24. Yes, I can
probably get away with 32 here, but I really intended to bring up an
alias with a netmask of 24. It shouldn't have affected the static
routes with equal or finer resolution (netmask) that I was connected
through. Yet it did. It seemed to redirect all traffic from the machine
to itself on lo, despite the presence of explicit routes out through
eth0.

I went and sat down by the machine later. It had all its routes just as
before, as I recall. It just had the lo:7 interface up with the same
netmask as eth0, and an address in the same range. That seemed to be
enough to cut it off from the world. The default route was still there.
But it is gatewayed through a router in the eth0 netmask, so seemed
to be masked too.

Am I remembering wrong? I didn't see a route to lo:7. Yet a telnet
out to any machine definitely led back to itself.

I brought things back to normal with ifconfig lo:7 127.0.0.8.

> On Sun, 26 Mar 2000, Peter T. Breuer wrote:
>
> > Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 07:08:55 +0200 (MET DST)
> > From: Peter T. Breuer <ptb@it.uc3m.es>
> > To: linux kernel <linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu>
> > Subject: automatic routing in 2.2.*

> > 1) I believe I just did "ifconfig lo:7 machineB" on machineA and
> > immediately lost contact. I think I can guess why. It now doesn't
> > have a route to localhost, having just changed the static routes
> > through the whole loopback interface.
> >
> > Thanks, but no thanks. SUSE 6.3 standard 2.2.10 kernel.
> >
> > 2) I can't get an alias to go away. If I ifconfig down lo:7 and
> > then take out the entire loopback interface with ifconfig lo
> > down, when I do ifconfig lo up, lo:7 will reappear also.
> >
> > The best I can do is reconfigure lo:7 to something harmless, like
> > 127.0.0.8. It's a kind of zombie alias.

Peter