Re: Cylinder limits jumper for drives over 32GB

From: Daniel J Blueman (daniel.j.blueman@stud.umist.ac.uk)
Date: Sun Mar 26 2000 - 18:44:37 EST

Hi Andre,

> You have to have something returned from the kernel to even attempt a WAG
> on geometry........Since we do this in the kernel, why should the resolts
> not be exported to USER-SPACE? This way ALL user-space utilities are
> using what the kernel declares...........

Is WAG some sort of translation?
I agree with exporting the information that the kernel works out to
user-space. That is truly good.

What I'm saying is, is it not possible to only export LBA information? I
hate to see disk geometry everywhere (fdisk, hdparm, /proc/ide...) when the
CHS idea is now just an abstract way of looking at the disk - and doesn't
get close to how things are layed out on big disks anyway.

The sooner CHS information is not exported, the better, IMHO

TIA,
    - Dan
Daniel J Blueman
Undergraduate - BSc Computing Science