Re: Endless overcommit memory thread.

From: Horst von Brand (vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl)
Date: Sun Mar 26 2000 - 23:19:12 EST

Linda Walsh <law@sgi.com> said:
[...]

> The point is you don't necessarily to hard code in memory "policy"
> that kills processes. Optional option? Maybe yes... But default behavior?
> Yuck. If we want Linux to become a "most trusted OS", having the kernel
> automatically take non-requested actions on user-programs isn't a great
> idea.

Much as I love Linux, "most trusted OS" category it certainly isn't, not by
a very long shot. And this particular area is perhaps one of the minor
points in getting there. If we want to... and I'm not sure about that at all.

--
Horst von Brand                             vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl
Casilla 9G, Viņa del Mar, Chile                               +56 32 672616