Re: Endless overcommit memory thread.

From: Linda Walsh (law@sgi.com)
Date: Mon Mar 27 2000 - 14:45:10 EST

Grendel wrote:
> The clearance levels can be equivalent to the process privilege levels - in
> respect to memory usage - so that the processes of the most privileged users
> can be ruled out of the 'kill on OOM' pool - simply marked "non killable".

---
	Problem comes when you have two sensitivity labels that are not
able to be hierarchically compared.  They may be at equal sensitivity levels
but may be in disparate categories that have no ordering -- like say, you have
the "Harvard University" category and the "Yale University" category that have
no intrinsic comparable value (other than of the attendees or proponents of
such :-)).  They both have the same sensitivity level (say "Faculty" vs. say
"Undergrad").  But kernel can't determine a hierarchy for the categories.

> In a word the processes are guaranteed not to be killed in such situation. > If the compartmented mode is to be completely secure, the machine should use > separate _hardware_ for every clearance level, or guaranteed separation of > VMs, am I correct? --- Separate hardware may be the ideal. It might be that researchers at Harvard and Yale might both wish to have a 256P machine, but the reality is that both schools might not be able to afford such a machine and but might be able to 'copurchase' such a machine but still want secure separation for their research. Covert channels as referred to by Alan C. and Jesse P. may have acceptably low bit rates (say <10 bits/second) if what they are working on are Gigabit datasets. Obviously, we'd like to know what covert channels are possible and what the maximum bit rate of each is, so Harvard and Yale can decide if those are acceptable. Their requirements might be different than say if Caltech U. and Stanford U. were to share a machine.

> Combining the clearance levels, appropriate capabilities (as you proposed > before) and memory access priorities could guarantee that mr. President > won't run out of memory :) --- Ok, zap forward to future. US and Euro countries decide to band together to buy a 256GP machine -- to predict the weather, among other things. Now we have incomparable entities (unless you want to start a squabble). Mr. Pres is at the same priority level as other country leaders, but is 'incomparable' to them. We can't prioritize memory within that group. If there ia memory shortage, Mr. Prez can lobby congress and the other Euro nations for more memory on the 256Giga-processor machine. But he won't be running along and have his vi session killed out from under him (though the concept is a bit amusing...:-)).

-l

-- Linda A Walsh | Trust Technology, Core Linux, SGI law@sgi.com | Voice: (650) 933-5338