KNI in userspace- kernel patch?

From: David Konerding (dek_ml@konerding.com)
Date: Mon Mar 27 2000 - 17:35:46 EST

Hi folks,

what is the state of using KNI instructions in userspace. does it require a
kernel patch?
I have seen several kernel patches referring to katmai support (including
red hat 6.2 PR, which
mentioned PIII raid checksum). I installed the red hat 2.2.14 kernel w/
P-III patches (that come with the
kernel src), got this upon booting:

Enabling extended fast FPU save and restore...done.
Not enabling KNI unmasked exception support
Checking 386/387 coupling... OK, FPU using exception 16 error reporting.
Checking 'hlt' instruction... OK.
POSIX conformance testing by UNIFIX
mtrr: v1.35a (19990819) Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.csiro.au)
per-CPU timeslice cutoff: 100.06 usecs.
CPU1: Intel Pentium III (Katmai) stepping 03
calibrating APIC timer ...
..... CPU clock speed is 601.3794 MHz.
..... system bus clock speed is 100.2297 MHz.
Booting processor 0 eip 2000
Calibrating delay loop... 599.65 BogoMIPS
OK.
CPU0: Intel Pentium III (Coppermine) stepping 01
Total of 2 processors activated (1199.31 BogoMIPS).

so I assume it's working correctly.

But the following code just gives a segfault. Am I missing something from my
KNI code?
int a=5;
int test2() {
  __asm__("movq 0x00(%0), %%mm0\n\t"