Two VFS questions

From: Tigran Aivazian (tigran@aivazian.fsnet.co.uk)
Date: Tue Mar 28 2000 - 12:57:46 EST

Hi guys,

1. I understand why do_umount() does shrink_dcache()/fsync_dev() (the
comments explain why) but why does umount_dev() need to call fsync_dev()
as well, just before downing the mount_sem semaphore?

2. Why is the information about mounted filesystems split into two
separate entities 'struct super_block' and 'struct vfsoumnt'? Can't we
merge the two lists into one? I used to think that superblocks
and vfsmnt entities have different lifetimes but no longer think so, which
raises this question. The obvious reason why would one want to merge them
is, for example, to save 12 bytes (on 32bit arch) per each mounted
filesystem. And the obvious reason *not* to do so is that we may have
allocated a superblock and then failed to mount the filesystem but we can
still reuse it next time we walk the list of superblocks looking for en
empty (s_dev == 0) one. Surely this reason is not valid as this allocation
is extremely fast when considered in the context of such
non-performance-critical operation as mounting a filesystem...

Thanks,
Tigran.