Re: Location of shmfs; devfs automagics

From: H. Peter Anvin (hpa@transmeta.com)
Date: Tue Mar 28 2000 - 18:06:11 EST

Blu3Viper wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Mar 2000, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> > No, it's not. It's not like "all other drivers" -- NO other filesystems
> > driver mount automagically.
>
> your root partition is mounted. if you specify a root system on a device
> other than your typical /dev/hda, the driver for that critter kicks in and
> sets things up.

Not if you're using initrd, but that's another issue. OF COURSE you
need what you need to bootstrap. devfs isn't amount them.

> /dev is such a crucial part of the system it makes very good sense to start
> support for it automatically. just like it makes real good sense to have
> the console support in the kernel because pretty much everyone uses it.
>
> > It's a matter to sticking to existing successful practice unless you
> > have a *very* good reason to diverge. I see no such reason in this
> > case.
>
> imo, ease and simplicity are very good reasons. reducing the number of
> steps necessary for the majority of systems v.s. adding one lilo option to
> disable the auto start of it is a win.

This is an idiotic argument. Why don't we provide a full / filesystem
in the kernel because some idiot is too dumb to install a root
filesystem but not dumb enough to compile a kernel.

Get real.

        -hpa

P.S. I'm not going to answer any more mails from you.