Re: automatic routing in 2.2.*

From: Blu3Viper (david@killerlabs.com)
Date: Tue Mar 28 2000 - 21:07:41 EST

On Tue, 28 Mar 2000, david parsons wrote:
> On Cisco routers, yes, which are most certainly NOT Unix machines.

No, they aren't. But ifconfig and route simply can't deal with the immense
amount of network capabilities we have now.

> ifconfig and route, on the other hand, are pretty common; that's
> why I'm mot, umm, ``upgrading'' my network utilities to use ip --
> I like to not have to have my brain hurt too much when switching
> from one Unix box to another.

It won't hurt much, it actually gets easier IMO :)

Instead of: ifconfig eth0 1.2.3.4 netmask 5.6.7.8 broadcast a.b.c.d ...
it becomes: ip a a 1.2.3.4/nn brd + dev eth0

The CIDR usage is great, complemented with the calculated broadcast.

> Most Linices *do* do it automatically from within their respective
> rc.network scripts, and people have mentioned places where it's
> useful to bring up an interface but not attach any routes to it
> when they're doing something fancier than simply attaching a
> workstation to a network.

I used to have reasons not to add routes and then I learned how to do it
better. The routing really does belong there.

> david parsons \bi/ I think I prefer Linux to be a Unix clone instead
> \/ of an IOS clone.

And a good bit of the current NET4 code is modelled after a lot of IOS.

-d