Re: Location of shmfs; devfs automagics

From: Richard Gooch (rgooch@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Tue Mar 28 2000 - 22:06:09 EST

Michael H. Warfield writes:
> Patches for devfs support for the Computone boards were submitted
> weeks ago, but they're not in the kernel sources yet and I doubt their
> going to make 2.4.0. How many other drivers have no support? Somehow,
> I suspect that most of the intelligent multiport boards fall into that
> category and I don't see anything in the pcmcia stuff either. I agree
> that some things "fall out in the wash" when they register things like
> standard tty ports and drives. But that still leaves a lot out that
> haven't been done yet. Sure, I figured out that you aren't having any
> problems with this because you aren't using any of these things.
>
> I also sent Richard (and the devfs list) a list of the ports
> and devices that the Computone boards use that are not in devfsd. Maybe
> one day they'll show up in devfsd and maybe they won't. I haven't
> heard a peep back on that front. I'm sure the patches will make it
> into the kernel eventually, I'm just not sure when. That's in the
> hands of the man in charge.

The problem has been one of time. I've spent the last few weeks first
at a conference, then travelling, then came back and promptly caught
the flu (misery for a week). And then bring my main machine up to date
after an extended absence. So soon I should be able to start tackling
that mountain of devfs email I've got in my inbox :-( Oh. And I need
to write a better HOWTO :-(

I need a clone.

                                Regards,

                                        Richard....