Re: Location of shmfs; devfs automagics

From: Richard Gooch (rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca)
Date: Tue Mar 28 2000 - 22:59:02 EST

H. Peter Anvin writes:
> Followup to: <200003290306.UAA00634@vindaloo.ras.ucalgary.ca>
> By author: Richard Gooch <rgooch@mandrakesoft.com>
> In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel
> >
> > The problem has been one of time. I've spent the last few weeks first
> > at a conference, then travelling, then came back and promptly caught
> > the flu (misery for a week). And then bring my main machine up to date
> > after an extended absence. So soon I should be able to start tackling
> > that mountain of devfs email I've got in my inbox :-( Oh. And I need
> > to write a better HOWTO :-(
> >
> > I need a clone.
>
> Don't we all. By the way, Richard... please don't take this the
> wrong way. I do, however, think that it would be a major win to
> make devfs behave as a standard good citizen, *especially* given the
> reliance on devfsd.

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from. But the current behaviour
isn't really causing a problem (there is a config option and boot
option), and there *were* good reasons to do it the way I did. Like I
said, I'd have to dig into my archives (and they are *big*) to extract
all the reasons. It wasn't just one.

I haven't had time today to respond further to this thread, but just
consider this point. If you boot with "devfs=only", then you *have* to
mount devfs before init/main:init() opens /dev/console. And booting
with "devfs=only" is legitimate.

                                Regards,

                                        Richard....
Permanent: rgooch@atnf.csiro.au