Re: v2.2 IP chains in 2.3.99pre3

From: James Fidell (james@cloud9.co.uk)
Date: Wed Mar 29 2000 - 05:20:02 EST

Quoting Rusty Russell (rusty@linuxcare.com.au):

> In message <20000327225804.A17742@thagdal.cloud9.co.uk> you write:
> > How do I confiure the this kernel to include IP chains support?
> >
> > Using menuconfig, in the Netfilter Configuration section, checking only
> > the Ipchains selection means the kernel won't build because it needs
> > connection tracking support (as far as I can see). As soon as I add
> > support for connection tracking however, the Ipchains selection is removed
> > as a possible choice.
>
> It's not allowed if iptables is `Y' (it's OK if it's N or M).

The IPchains support won't build unless (I assume) connection tracking
is enabled however. And once you say "Y" to that, it's removed from the
list of options. I must admit, I'm not personally too worried about
making this work now, because I just decided to switch to using IPtables
instead.

Getting IPtables to work when static-linked into the kernel would be a
bonus though. Currently iptables whinges about not being able to find
"filter" when the modules are static linked, but (subject to a small
patch on the ipfilter mailing list) works just fine when loaded as modules.

James.

--
 "Yield to temptation --             | Consultancy: james@cloud9.co.uk
  it may not pass your way again"    | http://www.cloud9.co.uk/james

        - Lazarus Long               |              James Fidell