Re: SMP with linux

From: Daniel J Blueman (daniel.j.blueman@stud.umist.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Mar 29 2000 - 05:32:10 EST

Hi Ralf!

> can anyone give me some information what I'd have to do,
> to make a linux device-driver SMP secure.
> Can I use skbuffs ( and their functions ) in a SMP
> environment ?

You'll need to declare and use spinlocks on shared resources, such as shared
memory (variables etc) in your network card driver. When you're called in
the bottom half interrupt handler (ISR), you wait for then take the
spinlock, then do your work. Do the same in your other functions. Just try
to ensure the spinlock is held for a little as time possible, for more
scalability etc.

- Dan
Daniel J Blueman
Undergraduate - BSc Computing Science