Re: [patch] preemptive kernel, preemptive-2.3.52-A7

From: yodaiken@fsmlabs.com
Date: Wed Mar 29 2000 - 11:31:27 EST

On Wed, Mar 29, 2000 at 12:07:29PM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> Victor, the lowlatency patch takes care of all code paths that keep the
> CPU for more than ~200-400 usecs without looking at current->need_resched.
> While such work (the lowlatency patch) is always inexact because
> source-level latency validation of 2 million lines of code is pretty much
> impossible (although work on that front is advancing and some of the most
> obvious abusers were fixed in 2.3), 'practical measurements' (Senno's
> measurement tool + a loaded system) show good results. RTLinux is so
> lowlevel (because it provides it's own small & atomic API orothogonal to
> the base kernel) that source-level validation is much easier.

My reservation about the low-latency patch is
in the method of fixing these long sections. If inode reclaim is too
slow, we can either introduce more checks for needs resched or try to
find a smart data structure/algorithm that does the work faster.
If read/write is too slow, figuring out some way to force it into
mmap or do something else smart is an alternative to checking needs
resched.

I wish that one of the vendors would put together a big test system
to evaluate patches on a range of systems and conditions.