Re: Oops in 2.2.15 with NWFS using the Linux Buffer Cache SMP

From: Stephen C. Tweedie (sct@redhat.com)
Date: Wed Mar 29 2000 - 15:56:42 EST

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 29, 2000 at 12:38:01PM -0700, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

> This is what I thought. Noticed that 2.3 fixes much of this. I will
> put the kernel lock over the buffer cache when using it in this mode on
> 2.2. The LRU in NWFS is fully SMP and multi-threaded -- if folks want
> SMP buffer cache support they can use that one on 2.2.

Indeed --- the SMP threading is one of the more pervasive changes
between 2.2 and 2.3. A lot of people have worked on that, and the
VFS is much, much more scalable on SMP in 2.3 now. That necessarily
makes life more complex for driver or filesystem writers, but there's
really no way to avoid that when you go for fine-grained SMP.

Cheers,
 Stephen