Re: Timestamp counters on SMP

From: Nicholas Vinen (hb@sonique.com)
Date: Wed Mar 29 2000 - 10:04:35 EST

   Is it just me or does SMP stand for "Symmetric Multi-Processing" where
the word Symmetric implies that all the processors being used are
identical? Or does this Symmetric mean something else (shared memory
model?). I find it strange that you have an SMP computer with different
CPUs and I thought this wasn't possible with Intel chipsets.

   It sounds to me like this is a recipe for disaster and no wonder apps
that use time counters break :)

        Nicholas Vinen

---

"... one of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that, lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination of their C programs." -- Robert Firth