Linux Device Drivers

From: David Findlay (nedz@bigpond.com)
Date: Thu Mar 30 2000 - 01:00:30 EST

I have an idea which some of you might not like, but would make linux heaps
easier to use. Could the developers design a new system of device driver
installation. The current method is much to hard for the average computer
user. It would be much easier if you had a system whereby you download a
binary executable for the device you wish to install on your PC. When you
run it it would automatically install the driver, with no configuration
necessary. It could ask for IRQ or IO, but you shouldn't have to go through
config files to do this.

I have a few ideas on how this stuff could be done, but I'm not an expert
kernel hacker, so someone else would have to do it.

Please CC me if you reply to this message.

David Findlay