[OT]state space logic execution speed

From: Karen Shaeffer (shaeffer@best.com)
Date: Thu Mar 30 2000 - 05:49:51 EST

Hi Folks,

I am developing a state space logic machine. In considering the
implementation, I have two choices.

1.) I can utilize an array of integers, manipulating the space with
    operations on these integers.

2.) I can utilize bit-fields, manipulating the space with operations on
    these bit-fields.

Can anyone please advise me about the tradeoffs inherent to these two
options concerning speed of execution WRT decision logic and the implication
for porting to other target platforms. I'm looking for maximum execution
speed. The target platform is initially X86. I have some ideas about this,
but would be interested in other opinions as well.

You can send responses directly to me or on the list here, whatever is most
appropriate.

TIA,
Karen

--