Re: Avoiding OOM on overcommit...?

From: James Sutherland (jas88@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Mar 30 2000 - 14:06:10 EST

On Sun, 26 Mar 2000 15:38:16 +0200 (MET DST), you wrote:
(snip)
>It might actually be possible nowadays to provide backing space on disk for the
>stacks of live processes.
There is much more to memory usage than just stack size...

>Nearly everyone will have 2GB spare for 256*8MB
>of emergency stack space.
"Nearly everyone"? I have seen production servers with a TOTAL of that
amount of disk space...

>That about takes care of everyones problems,
>since not walking malloced memory when you get it to make sure its
>there is the programmers decision.
If you want non-overcommitted behaviour, you can just use gnumalloc
and allocate your own stack at initialisation time (or just pre-expand
it).

James.